Friday, August 2, 2013

He Takes the Upright into His Confidence


"All that belongs to the Father is mine. That is why I said the Spirit will receive from me what he will make known to you.”  John 16:15 NIV


"For the Lord detests the perverse but takes the upright into his confidence." Proverbs 3:32 NIV


I love that throughout Scripture God always told someone what He was going to do before He did it.  That has always been one of my greatest desires - to be taken into the Lord’s confidence in big and small ways.  In Scripture, He confided in the prophets and others so they could warn people and save them from danger.  He confided in Abraham in order to save Lot from the burning sulfur that was about to rain down on Sodom. He confided in Jonah in order to give the Ninevites a chance to repent.  He still confides in some of us in order to give others of us a chance to repent.  I am telling the following stories from memory so the details might not be one hundred percent accurate, but details aside, they are both true.  One was told to me years ago by an acquaintance and the other I read years ago in a book.  I wish I could remember the book and the author but I cannot.

My acquaintance, Susan, was in a Burger King one night having a late bite with a friend. Because it was late, the restaurant was empty except for a solitary woman, who was seated at a table along the back wall.  As Susan was eating and conversing with her friend, the Lord took her into His confidence.  He said, “That diner over there is not a woman.  He is a man.”  Susan took a better look.  She definitely looked like a woman.  The Lord said, “I want you to go over and ask him why, though he is a man, he is wearing women’s clothing.”  Whoa, right?  And yet Susan obeyed.

The diner initially denied being a man, but when Susan explained that the Lord had taken her into His confidence, he broke down in tears.  He confessed that he was a pastor who had been struggling with the desire to dress like a woman.  He had previously done so in private, but on this night he took it a step further and ventured out into public. After much conversation and angst, Susan and her friend took him to K-mart to buy clothing from the men’s department.  The Lord insisted that he change his clothes, not as soon as he got home, but right then and there.  After emerging from the fitting room in his new outfit, and after much struggle, he threw his dress into the trash.

The author of the book I read years ago relayed a similar account.  He was on an airplane when he spotted a man with a woman’s name emblazoned on his forehead.  At the Lord’s prompting the author made his way over to the man and asked him why he had “JoAnn” written across his forehead.  The man turned pale and his knees buckled a bit.  He was on his way to meet JoAnn and JoAnn was not his wife.

I love the Lord for providing a way out when we are tempted beyond what we can bear.  And I love Him for confiding in those who are courageous and obedient enough to save us from making an enormous mistake.

I hope someone out there is reading this because I would love to know whether the Lord has ever confided in you.

No comments:

Post a Comment